Community Granting Priorities
Economically Disadvantaged Children and Youth
We seek to empower economically disadvantaged children and youth by supporting their families and others to inspire, nurture, educate and guide them to achieve long-term stability and well-being.
We believe that all children and families have a collection of strengths and assets that they can use to build positive lives for themselves. However many families’ economic circumstances severely limit their access to information and the range of opportunities for their children. This is a gap that the Carolyn Foundation can help address. Therefore, as we review proposals we carefully look at the populations being served and focus our efforts on those with significant economic challenges typically as indicated by eligibility for free or reduced lunch. We will seek programs that respectfully support these young people and their families.
We will do this by funding programs that:
- Enable children and youth to be successful in school.
- Provide access to resources to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Assist children and youth to develop positive relationships with adults, life skills and positive decision-making.
- Support families’ ability to nurture and support their children.
- Provide direct access to quality arts and creative expression.
We seek to enhance the vitality of New Haven, Connecticut through programs such as arts, civic and cultural organizations that build a shared understanding and commitment to our community.
We believe that the quality of life for all people is improved by having a diverse and vibrant cultural community that nurtures and challenges its members to be the very best they can be as engaged and respectful community members. This category does not include social service programs. The types of programs we have funded in the past have included:
- Programs/activities that bring together diverse communities.
- Programs that make community resources more accessible and inviting to diverse audiences.
- Programs that spotlight and share the arts, culture and heritage of community residents.
- Activities that support and empower active community engagement.
Review our online application questions to see what types of information we will be reviewing to assess fit with our priorities. There is a print questions option available when you log into the online application form.