Rigorous and relevant schools for all students
MN Comeback leads a broad coalition of advocates, families, educators and funders working together to ensure that all students – especially the 30,000 Minneapolis kids most in-need – have access to a rigorous and relevant education.
Together, our coalition invests deeply in strategies proven to help schools succeed – recruit and retain extraordinary educators, engage and empower families, advocate for supportive public policy, and help schools access quality facilities.
Our partners inform our work, and our coalition structure is intended to offer the education sector much-needed coherence. Our Leadership Council and committees of volunteers, for example, provide our organization meaningful guidance and feedback on all objectives and strategies.
We apply a school-centered approach across all school sectors, and work in tight alignment with our sister organization Great MN Schools, which makes strategic investments in proven and promising schools. Together, we’re tripling the number of schools closing the opportunity gap in five years.
MN Comeback investments are…
- Increasing principals’ capacity as instructional and academic school leaders
- Improving the preparation and retention of transformative educators of color and emerging teacher leaders
- Expanding pathways into the teaching profession
- Strengthening school accountability for families
- Empowering parents to have more influence over their child’s education
- Ensuring schools meet students’ academic and social-emotional needs
- Supporting the facilities needs of proven and promising schools
Initial progress against our levers
Project profile: ‘Minneapolis School Finder’ – answering parents’ call for reliable information on schools
We assembled the first-of-its-kind ‘Minneapolis School Finder’ directory, providing parents with guidance on choosing the best-fit school.
After convening and listening to several hundred parents in various formats, the resource guide responds to an explicit need that parents cite: Comprehensive information on schools, from programs and academics to hours and demographics. Minneapolis School Finder features:
- Tips for choosing a school
- Questions to ask when touring schools
- Application and enrollment guidance
- 29 changing-the-odds schools
- 139 school profiles (district, charter and independent)
More than one-dozen community-based organizations lent their insights and time, making Minneapolis School Finder possible – and helped distribute 6,500 copies to families in advance of the 2017-18 school year. We’re now finalizing Minneapolis School Finder for the 2018-19 school year, and plan to reach 10,000 families.